Question:
time for a new cpu or not?
Christian
2012-01-23 01:57:33 UTC
i have an amd phenom x4 810 and in games i lag. During games, i lag for 1-5 seconds or the screen completely freezing. When i play dota 2 it only lags at the start of it when i pick my hero and maybe one more time a few minutes in but after that it doesnt lag. I have a program open and it says the core speed is 797.8 MHz and i think it should be 2600MHz because the cpu is 2.6GHz. i see it jump to 2600 MHz every once in a while but right now it is sitting at 800 Mhz almost indefinitely. Maybe when i run games it will go higher but im not sure. Do i need to update some stuff because i honestly dont know if i HAVE to buy a new cpu. Ill post some specs from dxdiag

Time of this report: 1/23/2012, 01:52:51
Machine name: FAMILY-PC
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) (7600.win7_rtm.090713-1255)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Gateway
System Model: DX4300
BIOS: Default System BIOS
Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 810 Processor (4 CPUs), ~2.6GHz
Memory: 6144MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 6144MB RAM
Page File: 1747MB used, 10536MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
DxDiag Version: 6.01.7600.16385 32bit Unicode
other then that i have a nvidia 560ti and a 600watt power supply

and if you think i need a new cpu, link me one because im not sure which one would work
These are some im thinking of if i have to buy a new one, not sure if they are compatible because new egg doesnt have the amd phenom x4 810 anymore.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103993
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103995

thank you :)
Four answers:
The Seeker
2012-01-23 03:16:53 UTC
You have a pretty good computer for most games, let's look at the important stuff you have:

quad core cpu when most games only use 2 or less cores

6gb ram when most games only require 4gb or less

nvidia 560ti when most games require a lesser card

The reason you lag is probably because you have a slow internet connection speed. Take a speed test from an online site and see what your download and upload speeds are.

FYI: You could have a super computer but if you were on 56k dial-up or some other slow internet connection you would still have lag!
arlyn
2016-10-19 10:21:31 UTC
so as asked: a million - CPU is unquestionably the brains of a working laptop or laptop. It contains out the training of a working laptop or laptop software by making use of performing the person-friendly arithmetical, logical, and enter/output operations of the equipment. 2 - Laptops do have CPUs or they does not paintings like computers. with out this key factor, the laptop may well be valueless. a famous laptop has a warmth sink to shrink the temperature of the CPU. 3 - If we place the CPU interior the computer screen, we would could desire to go a super form of different factors to boot. The CPU communicates with reminiscence (and the puzzling disk while needed) to make certain, write, and execute instructions. no longer basically that yet via many operations it performs on a similar time as on, the fan should be interior reach to stay away from overheating. additionally the present area supplies somewhat extra risk-free practices than the computer screen might. A pill is a sturdy occasion of how that's often performed. this could be a short answer on your question. in case you like extra advice or if there is something i did no longer touch on, please upload extra component.
Thomas C
2012-01-23 02:08:10 UTC
you fail to mention you internet connection speed.

I dont think your lag is from the cpu or the video card but more your internet connection.

the phenom x4 2.6 should perform really good.

and i wouldnt worry about your Idle clock speed as the bios is controlling this to keep a low power state .. When it calls for more it will go up. You can disable the power saving features in the bios if you think its an issue. But trust me its normal for your clock speed to drop in period of either idle or low usage.

Have you tried to play the games in single player?? see if it makes a diff.

Also it could be that the games need patched or something. also the lag may not be on your end it may be a server issue. try a server with less players and see if it helps

6 gig of ram is not overpowering jeesh come on that wont cause lag
2012-01-23 02:03:27 UTC
Available OS Memory: 6144MB RAM?????? You only need 4 gigs RAM. You are overpowering your machine.