Question:
Why doesn't my memory stick work for my own PC?
revolution
2008-11-24 06:30:48 UTC
The type of memory stick I have is an Imation 2.0 Clip. I would work on EVERY OTHER computer but my own. When I plug it in my computer, it would make this sound when i plug it in and make that sound again when i take it out. I had this problem before. I e-mailed Imation and they helped me fix this problem the first time. Then a few weeks later, it happened again and I tried to e-mail them again and they said to contact Microsoft but I can't seem to get a hold of them without having to pay a fee. Can anyone help me get my memeory stick working for my computer again, BTW. My PC is Windows HP Paviolion and it's powered by Vista.
Six answers:
dewcoons
2008-11-24 06:46:42 UTC
Wish you had stated what the Imation had you do the first time....

Try the following.

Control Panel > System Icon > Hardware tab > Device Manager button

Find the USB section in the list of installed hardware

Click the + in front of the section to expand it so you can see all the devices

Look for anything related to your USB flash drive, right click, and unintall it.

Reboot the PC and let it redetect the device

Often the table that hold information about the devices will get corrupted. This will clear the table and force Windows to recreate the table.

If you can not find the device, you can uninstall everything in the section (unless you have a USB mouse and keyboard) and reboot. It should redetect all the devices without any trouble since the drivers are already present on your hard drive.
2008-11-24 06:47:46 UTC
check USB Root Hubs under in Device Manager

Right click on My Computer and choose Properties>Hardware>Device Manager

click the + by the Universal Serial Bus Controller

delete hubs with yellow warnings

then reboot and let Windows find it and reinstall it.

If you get to the choice of where to get the drivers untic everything except Windows Update.
srod01
2008-11-24 06:39:01 UTC
Try checking the cards properties. Insert it as usual, go to my computer and right click the device that is in question. Ensure that readyboost is not enabled for the device and also check to make sure that it isn't write-protected. If you find that either if those is indeed turned on, turn them off, restart your pc and after insert your card again.

That's the best advice that I have. Best of luck!
2008-11-24 06:35:17 UTC
Are you running Microsoft Windows 98 or Microsoft Windows 98 Second Edition?

Many USB devices are not very well supported in either,

but Second Edition provided some bug fixes for USB device support.

(if you are not running Second Edition)

I recommend you upgrade to Microsoft Windows 98 Second Edition

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Windows+98+second+edition&x=0&y=0

which has (marginally) better USB device support.

Really better USB device support came with Microsoft Windows ME & 2000.

If you have a (Dell, HP, IBM, ...) "brand" name computer,

then you might be able to get a "Microsoft Windows 98 Second Edition" product recovery, restore, or support compact disc or floppy diskettes from them for a nominal handling/shipping charge?

You did not mention which brand of USB flash drive?

Some USB flash drive vendors have drivers which you can download,

not sure that they would have a driver compatible with Microsoft Windows 98 & your specific USB flash drive?

For instance, Lexar's drivers

http://www.lexar.com/drivers/index.html

work with their products

WARNING: may or may not work with other brands, potentially corrupting or erasing your files!

Microsoft Windows 98 is no longer officially supported by Microsoft,

but you can try searching the Microsoft Windows 98 Support Center for various solutions:

http://support.microsoft.com/ph/1139

search for "USB" ...

Microsoft has a generic/sample USB Mass Storage Device driver for Windows 98

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/257751

which you can try, again it is NOT supported, and

not sure whether it will work with your USB flash drive?

You can try downloading third-party USB flash drive device drivers for Microsoft Windows 98, but most are unsupported, and some have dangerous bugs which could corrupt or erase your files.

-----------------

Alternatively,

to tranfer files from an (older) Microsoft Windows 98 system, you could either:

- copy or transfer them over a network connection

(again better supported in Second Edition, see above)

You would need to establish a network connection,

either via a dial-up modem, parallel port, or (Ethernet) network interface card

(again see the Microsoft Windows 98 support center above)

- use an older product like a Iomega Zip external parallel drive

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=iomega+zip+parallel&x=0&y=0

which are available (surplus or used) fairly inexpensively

References or resources:

http://www.gudstoff.com/getting-your-usb-flash-drive-to-work-on-windows-98.htm

For more information or assistance,

contact me LeheckaG on AskVille.
Anthony C
2008-11-24 06:34:17 UTC
So when you plug it on then open up my computer does it show up in there?
nygiantsfan
2008-11-24 06:33:12 UTC
dk