Question:
Wireless router setup?
Hetav
2005-11-28 13:03:51 UTC
I tried configuring and setting up my wirelesss router which I bought from CompUSA but it won't let me get online even though it detects my IP address and shows a strong wireless connection. What could be the problem?
Three answers:
Mangalore Dude
2005-11-28 13:30:00 UTC
Few things to look for:

1. Do you have cable or dsl or dial connection?

2. Earlier when you did not have the router, were you entering the login/password to connect to internet? If so, you have to configure your cable/dsl modem to host the login/password. For SBC DSL modem you can do it by http://192.168.1.0/ and there is a option available in "advanced configuration" to do that.

3. Did you connect the ethernet cable from the cable/dsl modem to the

WAN port of the router?

4. Are you getting the Dynamic IP assigned by the router? Check it by Start->Run->Cmd->ipconfig. It should show you some IP address like 192.168.1.x.

5. Run the following command in the command window (start->Run->cmd)

ping www.yahoo.com

Hope this helps.
Neverland
2005-11-28 15:25:15 UTC
Another thing a lot of people don't do, especially with DSL, is store their ID and Password in their router. You could very easily have a great connection from your computer to your wireless router, but your router isn't getting on the Internet because you don't have your login information stored. You might be using some software that came with your ISP to "login" but you don't need it if you store that information in your router. Check to see if your router supports PPPoE in it's internal setup and use it and see if that makes a difference.
mylesuyema
2005-11-28 13:08:52 UTC
You might not have your router configured correctly to connect to your ISP, be it Cablemodem or DSL or something else.

You should contact your ISP to determine if there is any special software that might be required to connect, or if it uses typical DHCP, or PPTP protocols.

Most wireless routers support DHCP and PPTP. Check the manufacturer's documentation for your specific wireless router.