Question:
how to recover data on a western digital hard drive?
blh5500
2010-07-26 15:49:02 UTC
My external hard drive stopped working. I plug it in but it does nothing, no lights, no noise, or humming. I had a computer knowledgeable person look at it, and they said there was a problem with the drive itself. They said there was no way they know of to get the data off it. Does anyone have any suggestions. I was told that maybe i should get another one just the same and transfer the round disc from this one to the new one and that may make it accessible.
Three answers:
Cupcake
2010-07-26 15:52:56 UTC
Whoever told you to take the disc plates out should either be shot or ....shot again...

The plates positions are preprogrammed onto the controller when its placed as it required absolute measurement, even moving it out by a few hundreds of a mm would render them useless, let along moving them out to a new drive.

Its an external drive, no light, no power could meant the power supply is gone, or the case controller/power circuit is gone, it doesnt meant your drive is dead.
Robert C
2010-07-26 15:55:49 UTC
well it is a hard drive inside a case.

if you open the case, and get the hard drive out. and then get another way to attach it to your pc. (cables adapters other cases)

and if it fires up your good to go.

however if hte hard drive itself is shot, (a gear popped, or arm broke) it might be done for.

you can try sticking it in a zip lock bag. and suck all the air out, then in another zip lock bag. and then freeze it over night.

this causes the parts to shrink a little and they break free. this can cause a stuck arm to pop loose. and it will fire back up.

id try this first.

if nothing works then try taking it apart carefully on a very clean surface in a clean room.

then see if the arm is stuck.

i opened one once it was stuck, i rotated the disc and it took off (i had it plugged in) (it scratched so loud and bad i felt bad but after like 1/32 of a turn it took off, the damaged parts from this will never work again, but your talking 1meg of 250gigs or something. the hard drive will just skip it.

this is dangerous and can harm you, but it can work as a last ditch effort.

it depends on whats wrong with it.
2016-12-09 01:02:40 UTC
Western Digitals have there very own website from the place you are able to acquire all those application approaches... Have sufferers and bypass interior the process the positioning... it ought to ask you the type form which will desire to in the back of your complicatedchronic.... stable success... I had an identical difficulty...