Question:
Whats the best anti virus program out there?
Amanda J
2008-03-30 04:59:15 UTC
I got a new computer, and I really want to get the best anti virus program so I wont have to worry about getting one!
Thirteen answers:
2008-04-01 23:38:07 UTC
Well, for me, after trying Avast, Norton, and McAfee, none of them have stood anywhere near Net Com 3.

Avast doesn't protect nearly enough and neither do mcafee or norton, but norton and mcafee slow your computer way down.

Somebody told me about Net Com 3 and its now on all 4 of my computers, virus free for about 8 months now, and I download alot of sh*t..haha

U can get it here if you wanna check it out.

http://www.netcomantivirus.com
2008-03-30 05:17:01 UTC
I've used loads of security options (Norton, One Care, Kaspersky) but the best is a program called Sophos Anti-Virus.

It's only anti-spam & anti-virus so it doesn't mess up your connections to the internet or stop you from using safe programs. When it finds a virus a simple popup appears warning you that the file has a virus inside (so you can delete the file before you run/unpack it) meaning that unless you come across a virus, the program runs silently in the background.

Its so easy to setup and use and you can schedule searches, configure where to search or you can do single file scanning if your unsure about a file.

The only downside is that after a 30 day trial you have to pay.

Because the program is designed for businesses not home users so paying isn't as easy as on normal websites (you have to contact the company)

(You could always download a cracked verison, it will last forever even after the trial period but then it won't update so newer viruses may not be removed or sometimes even discovered.)
Matt Buxton
2008-03-30 06:23:31 UTC
NOD32 gets my vote.

As some have pointed out, new viruses emerge all the time, but NOD32 has some of the best heuristic virus detection in the industry. That means it can detect unknown viruses by looking for common patterns in malicious software.

Although Kasperkey is an excellent product that occasionally knocks NOD from the top spot as far as detection is concerned, NOD takes up less of your valuable processor time and you can bet that in a few months NOD will be back on top again.

Scanning your entire computer every night is complete folly, especially these days when hard drives can run into hundreds of gigabytes. A complete scan can take hours and hours. A monthly scan is more than enough especially if you have always on virus protection.
2008-03-30 08:15:57 UTC
The best protection against any online threats is a smart computer user. Use the computer with care and it will never be infected. I have used a computer for 8 years with no anti-virus software at all. To date, there has been no virus.
zen300
2008-03-30 05:18:00 UTC
spybot search and destroy, avg ant-virus, avg anti-spyware, a root-kit cleaner, kapersky anti-virus, kerrio or sygate personal fire-wall...thre's heaps, some free, others not. spy-ware/malware is constantly evolving. no one product will get ém all, but some arebetter than others. the äll-in-one's"such as norton are almost use-less and just use resources. whatever you do, at least get something. don't use windows internet explorer, use firefox or some other browser. i/net exp. is notorious for malware. you must have a personal firewall and pop-up blocker, i use two, and a hardware fire-wall and i still get the odd trojan or logger. it's hard to protect a pc or lappy running windows anything ( o.s. i mean). mac's are better and linux operating systems have very few exploits, is free, but takes a bit of learning to use. USE AT LEAST SOME ANTI-MALWARE STUFF AND REMEMBER TO SCAN EVERY NIGHT BEFORE SHUT-DOWN.
2008-03-30 05:03:21 UTC
that mindset will give you a false sense of security. new viruses are comming out all the time so it is impossible for ANY company to keep completely up to date with them since a new virus may not be discovered for a few days. you are at risk for a virus no matter what you use, only unplugging the cable will keep you safe
Çlïgér4™ ♂
2008-03-30 05:07:39 UTC
AVG Free Edition

Edit: It's true that new viruses or introduced every day. That is why AVG, by default, is set to update on a daily basis. Also you must do a full scan at least once a week, depending on your surfing habits.
?
2016-10-11 06:50:25 UTC
i like Malwarebyte's Anti-Malware. gentle-weight and does not use too plenty RAM. I even have McAfee protection, yet i'm thinking uninstalling it because of the fact it hogs dissimilar RAM(around 100MB many times, around a hundred and fifty-200MB while updating).
sumeet s
2008-03-30 05:10:08 UTC
if u are using internet in ur pc or u r using pen drive then in this case u have to purchase one original antivirus which are sold in the market.this will atop ur virus threatning as well as it protect u from spy also.the recomended antivirus

kaspersky

quickheal
Dede Indrapurna
2008-03-31 05:35:33 UTC
See this review, it's based on my personal experience:

http://avateck.blogspot.com/2008/03/best-free-antivirus.html

Hope it helps!
prince of persia
2008-03-30 05:09:52 UTC
hi

there are 2 categories in antivirus utilities they are

1.freeware

2.payware

1.freeware

the top utilities are

1.avast

2.avg free

3.avira

4.norton free

2.payware

the top utilities are

1.kaspersky

2.eset nod 32

3.bit defender

4.avg 8

5.norton internet security

cheers!

__________shanthosh12
Alam
2008-03-30 05:03:19 UTC
visit the following web pages for antivirus:-

http://alamtips.blogspot.com
2008-03-30 09:03:08 UTC
McAfee

got mine with my dell laptop