Question:
whats the speed difference of 80gb sata hard drive and 80gb ida ata 133? is it worth the setup effort?
stargirrley
2005-12-08 23:01:21 UTC
is there any real difference or is like ida ata 100 and 133. is it worth the installing effort. ready to replace my ailing ata ida 133 80 gb hard drive. im replacing a western digital (3 failures 2 in one year and another less than a year} im thinking of buying a seagate.my motherboard supports both hard drives types
Two answers:
2005-12-08 23:17:54 UTC
If your motherboard has both sata and ide the next logical step it a upgrade to the newer sata interface. While you really wont see a major increase in performance. Most new sata drives come with a pretty decent warranty. Of all the drive manfactures out there I personally believe that Seagate makes the overall best HDD. They are super quiet and perform on par with the others. In 12 years of building computers I have never had a seagate fail. While I have gone through countless maxtor and western digital drive.
2005-12-09 06:20:21 UTC
Your motherboard will support any brand you give it as far as HD go. In my 7 years of building computers, I can’t say that I haven’t seen a WD go bad, but I can say that out of the countless brands, that brand is the one that I have had to send back the least. The biggest thing you should look at is what you do with your computer. If you do things that require you to read or write to your HD a lot, it would be beneficial for you to go with SATA. If you are just a standard user of email, internet, chatting, etc., and don’t want to spend a lot of money, go with an IDE drive. Myself, I have two WD 160GB SATA drives set up in a Raid 0 configuration, which means I have two hard drives acting as one. I see a huge difference when I play games. It all basically boils down to a matter of opinion and what you use your computer for.