Question:
I have quite a lot of information stored on my hard drive. How do I transfer this to a floppy disk to keep it?
hughdobbs1
2007-05-08 13:59:30 UTC
safe in case something happens to the hard drive?
Sixteen answers:
Slipperman
2007-05-08 14:10:47 UTC
Choices:

You can store 700Mb on CD.

You can get a 2GB USB flash drive from http://www.Amazon.co.uk for £8.

If you need to back up more than that then a USB external harddrive is the solution. £80 for about 400GB.

Floppy drives are obsolete and not reliable. Data is easily lost due to disk surface damage or age.
2007-05-08 22:00:09 UTC
Honestly i cant imagine some one using a floppy disk in this days. If you don't have a CD burner or DVD burner or you don't want to spend money buying one to backup your files, they´re are some free websites that allows you to store a few GB of information. But if you need more than those GB that are given to you for free you should paid for more space. The other thing is in those websites doesn't allow you to download too much information at a time so if you need all your information at once you will have to wait. Try for free online storage on your browser and you´ll find a lot of websites that offer this service.
steve g
2007-05-08 14:10:07 UTC
Floppys are quite out dated. Your best bet is to make the investment in an external hard drive. There are some good ones out there that will store any where from 100 GB all the way to a Tera bite or 1,000 GB. They usually range in price from $100.00 to as much as $ 500.00. It's well worth the investment though. And by the way, don't forget the data stick. 500MG to 2 GB. They all work through the use of your USB port(s).

Hope this helped.
2007-05-09 11:58:55 UTC
A floppy disk holds the smallest amount of information. Why not save them on to a CD, DVD, or a memory stick. The memory stick holds the largest amount of information. I am using one which holds 2 gigabytes of information. A floppy only holds 1.44 megabyes. A DVD holds 17 times more information than a CD. The choice is yours.
nocturne1001
2007-05-08 14:10:34 UTC
unless you want to have a gazillion floppy disks, you're better off saving your data to a cd or a zip drive (unless you only have a couple megs of data)

If you have a cd burner, you can drag and drop the data you want to back up to your cd drive window and once you've got 700 megs worth, put a blank cd in your cd drive and click copy files to cd. Another option is to use a program like roxio to organize and backup data to data cds.

Floppy disks hold a bit more than 1 meg a piece, cds will hold around 700 megs worth. If you have "quite a lot of information" in the form of photos, music, or other large files, you're definitely better off using CDs for backing up your data.
John S
2007-05-08 14:04:03 UTC
Floppy disk and 'quite a lot of information' are mutually incompatible (cant get much on floppy). Maybe look at USB hard drives (400G £80) or cd burners (600M)
?
2016-05-18 07:55:39 UTC
The only difference in the two hard drives is physical size. 2.5 inch external drives are small in size and very easy to carry around with you. One the other hand, 3.5 inch drives tend to be a be large and a little on the heavy side. Both will us USB to connect to your systems so they will work with both laptops and desktops. Also, for those of us who have not set up a network, external hard drives are a very good way to transfer data between computers. The only advantage that the 3.5 has over the 2.5 is the amount of data that they can hold. Laptop drives are for the most part much smaller and hold less data then do the standard 3.5 inch drives.
John W
2007-05-08 14:04:20 UTC
Save your files to CD, not floppies. Depending on the size of your harddrive, you could be wasting a lot of time. 100 meg HD would require about 8o floppy disks. Multiply that times the size of your HD.
turbo
2007-05-12 07:59:50 UTC
I would strongly advise against Storing to floppy as they store a relatively small amount of data in comparison to a c.d and are also susceptible to magnetic corruption.To store it to disc just right click on the folder then select "send to"the desired disk of your choice.
Turtle
2007-05-09 12:35:01 UTC
add all of the files you want to save into one folder. put a floppy disk in and drag the folder to the disk and done.
Crispy
2007-05-08 15:02:01 UTC
Honestly, I'd buy a new hard drive, connect it to your computer as a slave drive, then drag the files to the slave drive in My Computer (assuming you are running Windows).

It will be signifigantly less expensive than $500.
saint
2007-05-08 14:04:32 UTC
people still have Floppy Drives?
takala
2007-05-08 14:05:53 UTC
Why Floppy?? I presume you do not have cd drive only FDD CD would be better and easier I have frgotten how to do that after so long

sorry
mikey29_70
2007-05-08 14:06:02 UTC
how much information you need to back up ?? a floppy wont hold all that much, you might want to consider burning those items to cd-rom, or dvd rom to back them up ..

simply right click , and send those files you need to the cd-rom burner, and burn away .
nerdy6
2007-05-08 14:18:22 UTC
how? with a hell of a lot of floppys.
peedoff